Friday, June 13, 2014

five stars

I have a pretty boring diet.  With rare exceptions, I have the same thing for breakfast (yogurt) and lunch (PBJ) every day.  Dinner varies, but not by much.  G-Vo and I eat out on weekends, but we still only choose from a small group of favorite restaurants.  And that's fine; I eat these things because I like them.

But every once in a while, I'll eat something so amazing that makes me realize how everything else I usually eat is just empty calories, quickly consumed and then forgotten.  One of the best meals I've ever had was filet mignon and basmati rice, with key lime cheesecake for dessert.  It was one of those meals where I sat back full and happy and knew that I'd remember it for a long time.  It didn't just nourish my body; it nourished my soul.

These are the movie and TV equivalents, culled from my five star ratings on Netflix.  I thought I'd share them in case anyone is looking for something worthwhile to watch over the summer.  Your mileage, of course, may vary.  I've added comments or clarifications where needed.  Also, there's a very real possibility that I forgot to rate something that I thought was worth five stars, so I may update it at some point in the future, but this is a good starting point.

In alphabetical order:

  1. Aladdin
  2. American Beauty
  3. Avatar: The Last Airbender (the TV show, NOT the movie!)
  4. The Avengers
  5. Borat
  6. Breaking Bad:  We haven't actually finished this, so I reserve the right to go back and change this rating.  But the writing and acting so far deserve a five.
  7. Bridesmaids
  8. Clerks
  9. The Dark Knight
  10. E.T. 
  11. The Fall:  The movie, not the unrelated TV miniseries (which is also excellent).  I pulled this DVD off the shelf at the library, thought I'd watch about 15 minutes and toss it aside, and wound up watching it twice in 24 hours.  It is so beautiful and heartbreaking and has made me a Lee Pace fangirl for life. 
  12. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
  13. Forgetting Sarah Marshall
  14. Game of Thrones:  I want to say it's my favorite TV show of all time, but I hesitate to do so until it's actually over.  It's got a damn good shot, though, assuming it doesn't pull a Lost or a Dexter on us in the final season.
  15. The Green Mile:  Based on one of my ten favorite books of all time.
  16. Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows Part 2:  Mainly for sentimental reasons.
  17. Hedwig and the Angry Inch
  18. Her
  19. The Hunchback of Notre Dame:  The Disney version.  No exaggeration, I was howling in the theater.  And I don't mean laughter, I mean tears.  People were actually turning around to look at me.
  20. The Incredibles
  21. Kick-Ass
  22. Kill Bill:  The first one only; I was really disappointed in the second.
  23. King Kong:  Peter Jackson's version.
  24. Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
  25. Lord of the Rings:  The Two Towers:  Probably my favorite movie of all time.
  26. Lord of the Rings:  The Return of the King:  Yes, I went out of alphabetical order there because I felt weird going out of sequential order for a trilogy.  (nerd)
  27. Me and You and Everyone We Know
  28. Memento
  29. Mulholland Drive
  30. Mysterious Skin
  31. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
  32. Paranoia Agent
  33. Perfect Blue
  34. Pinocchio
  35. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles
  36. The Protector:  Also known as Tom Yum Goong.
  37. Pulp Fiction
  38. Running Scared:  The 2006 movie, not the Billy Crystal/Gregory Hines one.  One of the most exciting and audacious movies I've ever seen.  A scene of Paul Walker (RIP) going down on Vera Farmiga most certainly did not hurt its rating.
  39. Shortbus
  40. Sideways
  41. The Silence of the Lambs
  42. Sita Sings the Blues
  43. Sixteen Candles
  44. The Sopranos:  As of this writing, my favorite TV show of all time, though (as mentioned above) Game of Thrones is not just nipping at its heels; it has an actual foot in its mouth.
  45. Titanic
  46. Toy Story 3
  47. Up
  48. Welcome to the Dollhouse
  49. Zodiac
Aw man, I don't have a full 50?  Oh well.

UPDATE 6/15:  I couldn't easily add these without messing up my list above, so please mentally add Freaks and Geeks, Disney's Beauty and the Beast, Shaun of the Dead, Star Wars, and The Empire Strikes Back to the above list.