Monday, December 12, 2022

best of 2022: video games

And now it's time for my favorite video games of 2022!  A few notes before I begin:

- Not all of these were first released in 2022, but that's when I first played them.

- Aside from the first one listed, which was my definite favorite, these are in random order.

- All but two of these were played on the PS4; #3 and #8 were played on the Oculus Quest.

- It pains my OCD heart to have a list that isn't a multiple of five, but I couldn't bring myself to take any of these off.

- And as always, your mileage may vary.

- UPDATE 12/16:  I added a game I forgot!


1. Yakuza Kiwami:  As you might remember, I got MASSIVELY into Yakuza last year, but unfortunately I played the games in a very stupid order.  I rectified that this year by starting at the beginning with this installment.  We meet the legendary "Dragon of Dojima", Kiryu Kazama, as he takes a little girl (yep, Haruka) under his protection.  Chock full of all the action and wacky side stories that define the series, along with a new "Majima Everywhere" mode and improved graphics and gameplay.

2. It Takes Two:  When Cody and May announce their plans to divorce, they are magically trapped in their daughter's dolls, and they must work together to break the spell.  Couch co-op games that G and I can play together are rare, so this charming and challenging game was a delight.

3. Vader Immortal:  Darth Vader wants you to find a rare artifact for him, and needless to say, you better do what he says!  Thanks to VR, this game is unbelievably immersive; the first time Darth Vader appeared, I was actually so intimidated I was shrinking into myself.  

Oh, and if you're prone to sim sickness, which I am, good news:  the teleport option practically fixed that problem!  I did get a little woozy when climbing ladders, but that was rare enough that it wasn't a deal breaker.

4. Yakuza Kiwami 2:  This builds directly onto the story of Yakuza Kiwami, so I can't review it lest I spoil its predecessor; suffice to say it has all the great shit you'd expect.

5. Life Is Strange: True Colors:  After leaving foster care, Alex Chen moves in with her older brother Gabe and tries to figure out what caused a tragedy by using her psychic empathy powers.  Great writing and voice acting.

6. Doki Doki Literature Club:  I unfortunately had the conceit behind this game spoiled for me, so I won't do the same here as it's best experienced completely unaware.

7. Yakuza 3:  Same disclaimer as Yakuza Kiwami 2.  I'll add that this game seems to get an unfair ration of shit online, but I thought it was pretty good!  My least favorite so far has been Y4, but that was still damn good.

8. Beat Saber:  A rhythm game in which you slice blocks to the beat with, well, a lightsaber, basically.  Excellent music, too. 

9. House of Ashes:  During the 2003 invasion of Iraq, a group of American soldiers fall into a Sumerian tomb and encounter horrific creatures.  The best installment of the Dark Pictures Anthology series.