Thursday, December 07, 2023

best of 2023: video games

- Not all of these were first released in 2023, but that's when I first played them.

- Because this list is so short, these are in preferential order.

- Some of these may be available on multiple platforms, but I played the first two on the PS4 and the last one on my Kindle Fire (Android OS).

- As always, your mileage may vary.


1. Yakuza: Like A Dragon:  Despite my overwhelming love for the Yakuza series, I was really skeptical about playing this when I heard it was an RPG.  I mean, sure, I have a couple of RPGs in my top twenty (Persona 4 and 5), but in general it's not my favorite type of game.  Besides, I figured why fix it if it ain't broke?  The Yakuza series is practically perfect, and who was this bushy-haired pretender to the throne that Kiryu Kazuma has rightfully held all this time?

Well, his name is Ichiban Kasuga, a friendly fellow who's just gotten out of prison after taking the fall for someone else.  He gets shot shortly after release, and a homeless man named Nanba patches him up.  Nanba will become your first party member, eventually joined by a group of absolute ride or die friends who will stop at nothing to help Ichiban uncover the truth.

Look, I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong (usually) (sometimes).  I didn't think I'd like this game as much as I did, but it's an absolute BLAST.  There's pathos, humor, fantastic side quests, exciting battles, cameos from fan favorites, and excellent voice acting (we played with the English dub). If you like the Yakuza formula, there's just no way you won't love the shit out of this.  

2. Lost Judgment:  Judgment is my favorite of the Yakuza games (well, it's a spin-off; if we're only counting proper Yakuza games, then Yakuza 0 is my favorite), so I was super excited to play the sequel.  Our favorite lawyer turned PI is back, along with his buddies, to investigate the absolutely brutal murder of a teacher.  The usual plaudits apply as above.  I didn't love it as much as its predecessor, largely because of some side stories I found tiresome (fortunately, G loved the mechanics involved and was happy to take over for those), but damn, it still ate practically every waking moment until the credits rolled.  The DLC, which includes new love interests (none of whom are sexy thief Sugiura, unfortunately), additional side stories, a hoverboard that makes traveling around the huge map much easier, and a meaty story-based campaign for Kaito, is a must.

3. Meow Tower:  I enjoy nonograms (grid-based puzzles where you fill in cells to reveal a hidden picture), so when I heard there was one with cute cats, I knew I had to download it.  After meeting the first cat, whose name was Momo (also the name of our little guy), I knew I'd love it...and I do!  I whomped through the first thousand plus puzzles in a matter of weeks, and I'm currently happily going through the new update.  An enjoyable way to pass the time and exercise your mind.