Wednesday, December 14, 2005

the best of 2005: movies

You know, I hadn’t planned on posting this just yet, because I was sure I’d have to change the list to include Brokeback Mountain. Unfortunately, it won’t be playing in my neck of the woods until January 20th, so unless something marvelous and unexpected happens, I guess it will have to mosey its way onto my 2006 “Best Of” list instead.

Goddammit.

(And yes, I know I’m building it up in my mind, but I cannot imagine, with the stellar cast and crew and the achingly beautiful short story that served as its inspiration, that I will be disappointed.)

Anyway:


  • Not all of these were first released in 2005, but if that's the first time I saw them, then onto the list they went.
  • These are not in preferential order, aside from the very first one.
  • EDIT 12/19: Number 10 has been changed.
  • EDIT 1/3: Number 9 has been changed.





1. Me and You and Everyone We Know: A delightfully quirky movie, by turns hilarious and poignant, and filled with smart, nuanced performances. AND it had Virginia Astley on the soundtrack, AND a fantastic scene where a character yells “We could be together forever, you fucker, but you have to call me first!” at her irritatingly silent cell phone. And if all this wasn’t enough on its own, there’s a scene that cannot be improved upon in any way (for those of you who have seen it, it’s the part where they’re walking to the car) and a scene near the end that perfectly encapsulates that feeling when you finally find someone that just gets you. No question here…this was my favorite movie of the year.

2. Broken Flowers: If you're looking for a tidy resolution, you won't find it in this Jim Jarmusch gem about a man who sets out to find the author of an anonymous letter from a woman who claims he has a son he's never met. What you will find are a beautifully subdued performance by Bill Murray and a bittersweet screenplay. Expect an Oscar nomination for Murray.

3. Million Dollar Baby: An emotionally staggering film about a gruff trainer who reluctantly takes a female boxer under his wing, only to find himself becoming attached to her. When tragedy strikes, he finds himself in a terrible position. Painful yet beautiful, with astounding performances by Clint Eastwood, Hilary Swank, and Morgan Freeman. Have Kleenex handy.

4. Unleashed: Okay, parts of it are really hokey, but I friggin’ loved this movie. Bob Hoskins, playing a creepily charismatic crime lord, has trained a man named Danny to beat the shit out of people who owe him money. When Danny isn’t busting heads, he’s kept collared and caged. Danny eventually escapes and is taken in by a kindly blind piano tuner (Morgan Freeman), but the crime lord wants his “dog” back. Jet Li shows surprising emotional depth in his performance, and needless to say, there are some seriously kick-ass action sequences that had me yelling at the screen. (G after the showing: “Next time we go to a Jet Li movie together, I’m making you wear a ball gag!”)

5. Dawn of the Dead: This flick had it all as far as I’m concerned: characters I gave a shit about, a few poignant moments, some great black humor, and plenty of splatter to appease the gorehound in me. One of the rare remakes that did its predecessor proud.

6. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire: I had high hopes for this installment, because the corresponding book is my favorite HP to date (and one of my five favorite books of all time), and I wasn’t disappointed; it’s the perfect blend of action, humor, and pathos, and the special effects are top-notch.

7. The 40-Year-Old Virgin: One of the most consistently funny movies I’ve seen in a long time, and surprisingly sweet too, although the chest-waxing scene will make you flinch.

8. A History of Violence: Terrific thriller about an unassuming man in a small town who may have a big secret up his sleeve. Viggo Mortensen and Maria Bello are both great (and have an incredibly erotic 69 scene together), although an unrecognizable William Hurt chews the scenery so thoroughly you’d think it was made of rich, creamy nougat.

9. Brokeback Mountain: A heartbreaking story about what happens when you deny your true feelings for too long. Heath Ledger deserves the Oscar for which he will no doubt be nominated.

10. King Kong: Okay, so it takes a little time to get moving, but once it does, you won't get a second to catch your breath. The special effects are absolutely amazing, Naomi Watts is fantastic, and I cried my ass off at the end.

HONORABLE MENTION: The Transporter. After I said, only half-jokingly, that white men can’t do martial arts, Glenn sat me down in front of the TV and made me watch this movie. The plot is negligible, but Jason Statham is one bad-ass, sexy cracker, and the fight in the oil puddle was immediately deposited into my spank bank. In a better movie year, this wouldn’t have made the cut, but it’s enjoyable.

WORST: Boat Trip. I think I saw Cuba Gooding's career on the side of a milk carton.