Wednesday, February 18, 2009

driving me mad

Today I drove to work in a 2008 Dodge Caliber.

"Why, C!" you exclaim. "Don't you have a 2009 Honda Civic? Where's Ginji?"

Well, Ginji is in the body shop because a rock kicked up from the freeway and took a couple of chips out of the trunk lid. They're not even that big---the total damage could fit under a quarter---but I wanted to get it fixed because, hello, brand-new car. Plus I didn't want it to get worse, and with the heavy rain we've been having, I was worried about rust.

So I got up bright and early this morning and took Ginji to a body shop close to work. I thought, Well, it can't possibly cost that much to repair since it's so small. I guess I won't call in a claim unless it goes over my deductible. Hey, maybe they can even get it done by the time I get off work!

Laugh! Laugh at my rosy-cheeked, bright-eyed optimism! I sure am! My god, I am not only a pessimist at heart, but I WORK FOR AN AUTO INSURANCE COMPANY. It's always more than you think it will be! It always takes longer, too!

So that's a kick in the juxie, but hey, at least I have insurance, and I'm damn glad I added rental coverage to my policy last year. Plus it could have been worse, of course, and aside from the frustration of the whole thing, the process was surprisingly painless. I got to the body shop at 7:30AM and I was driving back home in the rental by 8:15.

Oh, body shop, take good care of my Ginji! Return him to me all nice and shiny and chip-free. And, um, could you make it quick? Because the rental car's "CHANGE OIL" light keeps flashing and it's making me nervous.