Tuesday, July 21, 2009

go on now go, walk out the door

(See previous post for necessary background information.)

Southern California is frickin' hot right now, and when I got home from work last Friday, it was like walking into an oven and then, for good measure, putting on one of those hairdryer helmets that old ladies seem to favor.

Fuck it. As much as I hate to jack up my electric bill by running the air conditioner, I figured it would be worth it to avoid heatstroke. So I turned it on, flopped on the couch, and closed my eyes for what was only supposed to be a minute or two, but turned into a full-fledged nap.

But then...

This gif I recently found accurately sums up my reaction to being startled out of a sound sleep by the floor shaking and a cry of "PAAAAAAAAAAAAPI! Papi! Papi! [stream of Spanish I couldn't understand] PAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPPPPPPPIIIII!"




Seriously, I was

So.

Fucking.

Mad.

But just as I was about to hurl an Ultrasuede pillow across the room, I heard another, more welcome sound. Not yet daring to let hope spark in my heart, I crept to the window and gingerly pushed the blinds aside to reveal my horrible neighbors loading their fridge and that hideous couch into a truck!

I spontaneously and joyfully burst into the Cabbage Patch.

Yes, I know someone far worse could move in, but I remain hopeful that the downstairs apartment will stay empty for a long, long time. After all, I'd think prospective renters would be scared off by the western exposure during this sweltering time of year. Not only that, but there are at least seven empty apartments in my side of the complex alone, and some of them have been unoccupied for over a year. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that those rent out before the one below me does.

So now I can say it unequivocally: best early birthday present ever!

(And as far as my real birthday went, it was totally boss, thanks to great food, wonderful presents, and awesome conversation. I seriously have the best people in my life.)