Thursday, November 11, 2010

25 things you (probably) don't know about me

Taking a cue from the similar feature in Us magazine, I now present a list of 25 things you probably don't know about me.

1. I had to take speech therapy when I was in 2nd grade because I kept pronouncing "th" words as "f" words, like fing instead of thing. I didn't mind, though, because the speech therapist was really nice and I had a crush on another student in our sessions. His name was Doug Turley, but I can't remember what his particular impediment was.

2. I never had braces, but I did have to have one of my canines filed down because it was so unusually sharp.

3. My very first memory is of sitting on the ugly brown leather couch in our New Jersey apartment, eating hamster food. Lest you get the wrong idea, I wasn't eating it because we were poor (though we were; dinner was typically a 25 cent box of mac and cheese split 4 ways), but because I liked the taste.

4. The hamsters in question were Pixie, who was a colossal bitch, and her daughter Honey Bunny, who was not.

5. The dimple in my right cheek is so deep that I can hold a piece of popcorn or plain M&M in it. Fun party trick!

6. This is an interesting enough story (YMMV) that I'll probably dedicate a full entry to it at some point during NaNoJoMo, but I was forced into a single room in my senior year of college thanks to a creepy roommate situation straight out of a horror film.

7. I didn't try pizza until I was almost 18 years old.

8. I have a sweet tooth---well, more like a sweet jaw---but when I'm feeling snacky, I almost always go for something salty instead.

9. Not including the US, I've been to 8 countries: Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, France, Japan, Iceland, Norway, and Costa Rica.

10. The country I'd most like to visit that I haven't yet? Italy.

11. My favorite fast food restaurant is Wendy's.

12. I took ballet and jazz lessons for 7 years, and even did a solo recital to "Dancing Queen" while clad in an awesome blue satin spangled fringy leotard with matching gloves.

13. If I could live in any other time period, it would be the 50's.

14. I have a major girl crush on Christina Hendricks.

15. As a kid, I wavered between wanting to be an author or an opera singer.

16. The two movies I'm most excited about seeing in the near future are Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows and Black Swan.

17. As much as I love movies, I don't have an all-time favorite; too hard to choose.

18. I have a thing for guys in glasses, especially atheist Giants fans.

19. I think female drummers are seriously awesome, in no small part due to the fact that my mom was a drummer. (Not professionally, though.)

20. I bit my nails for almost 16 years, and only stopped when my grandmother offered me $50 to quit.

21. When I'm feeling particularly anxious or insecure, I grasp my right thumb between my left thumb and index finger.

22. Three is my lucky number.

23. The best gift I ever got as a kid was a 2XL.

24. I'm very klutzy, but have somehow never broken a bone.

25. And because I'm also very superstitious, after typing that last sentence I whispered "antijinx, antijinx" under my breath.