Wednesday, December 29, 2010

how Olivia Newton-John saved my life

December has been quite rainy here in Southern California, and after a few welcome days of respite, the rain returned this morning.

I was driving to work and "Have You Never Been Mellow" came on the radio. Now, it's not one of my favorite songs, but it's inoffensive enough. I ain't gonna download it off iTunes or anything, but I won't frantically change the station if it starts playing either.

Anyway, I was lending Olivia backing vocals on the chorus and letting her take care of the verses.

"No, I just want you to slow down!" she implored.

"Okay, whatever you say, Olivia!" I replied, for I live alone and am prone to talking to the radio, myself, the TV, my laptop, and---on one memorable occasion after taking an Ambien---my bedspread. And I checked the speedometer and noticed that I actually was going a little fast, and I did in fact slow down...

...and turned a blind curve and saw a fallen tree branch across the road. Because I'd slowed down mere seconds before, I was able to swerve around it without skidding out or running over any of the splintered limbs that were just waiting to take out a tire or two.

Thanks, Olivia. The Vegemitinis are on me tonight!