Tuesday, February 19, 2013

I fought the gall and the gall won

Well, folks, tomorrow morning I'll be going under the knife and getting my gallbladder removed.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that they can do the laparoscopic surgery as opposed to the more complicated "open" surgery.  That would suck on pretty much every level, especially because it would mean about 3-4 days in the hospital as opposed to one night or maybe even outpatient surgery.  The place where I'm going is rather posh (they even sent me a brochure touting their "spa-like ambience" and "delicious meals prepared by an executive chef and served on fine china") but it's still a fucking hospital and I'd much rather be at home.  Plus:  $$$$$$$$$$$$.  I have health insurance, but my deductible is rather steep, so the sooner I can (safely) get out of there, the better.

G, as you'd imagine, has been an absolute rock star throughout this entire experience.  Although he can ill afford to take any time off work right now because it's their busy season, he's taking the rest of the week off to take care of me.  Hopefully I can be left alone by Monday morning, but if not, I'll have to figure something out.  Fortunately I've got good friends who are willing to pitch in if needed.

So yeah.  I'm kind of freaking out.  I know this is a routine surgery, and everyone I know/"know" who's had it has reported a fairly easy recovery, but it's still surgery.

Please keep a good thought for me, if you would, and I'll update as soon as I can.