Tuesday, August 23, 2005

I'm picking out a Thermos for you

A by-no-means comprehensive, completely random list of some of my favorite things at this very moment!

1. Shojo Beat magazine: This isn’t the first English-language magazine devoted to shojo (girls’) manga, but it’s the biggest and the best. My personal favorites are Godchild, a gothic (in the original sense of the word, not the cheesy Hot Topic sense) series about a mysterious count solving murders in Victorian England, and Nana, about two very different women who share the same name.

2. “Starved”: A hysterically funny, unrepentantly offensive, and incredibly caustic sitcom about a group of New Yorkers with some serious food issues. I was hooked the second the main character started spraying colonic water all over a horrified waiting room…which probably says something about my maturity level, or lack thereof.

3. White cheddar Cheez-Its: It’s a delicious salt extravaganza!

4. “Candy Pop in Love” by Tommy February6: I never, ever get sick of this song.

5. G: He makes my life as good as an ABBA song….as good as “Dancing Queen”, even!

6. True Lemon: Thanks to these handy little packets of crystallized lemon, I’ve been drinking way more water than I used to. I’m also peeing more, but hey, sacrifices must be made.

7. When something stereotypically manly comes on TV and G goes “Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah”. You kind of have to be there, but trust me, it rules muchly.

8. Football: Dear Christ, who would have ever thought I’d enjoy football? ME, a pasty, lazy woman whose sole ditching infraction in school came during the dreaded Sports Day? But yes, I find myself enjoying it, even though I don’t understand it…kind of like modern art, or Philip Glass.

9. The Jerk: What a great movie. Seriously. You can keep A Confederacy of Dunces; Navin Johnson is and always will be the ultimate Holy Fool.

10. Behold, the glory of the Iceland pony:





Look at that marvelous beast! It must have spent a good five hours in styling before that picture was shot! Admire that golden silky mane! I love horses, and when I finally get to ride one, my screams of “PONYPONYPONYYYYYYY!” will be heard all the way back in the US.